9 Days Tour - "Beautiful North Thailand and Laos"
This tour is specially designed for you who have a week of time and want to explore scenic and curvy roads less traveled in north Thailand and Laos. From your motorcycle you will experience great diversity, both in people, culture and landscapes in those two countries.
This seven-riding day tour starts and ends in Chiang Mai. Among the high lights are the mountains north east of Nan and the salt mining village of Bo Kluea. Crossing into Lao, at Pak Beng we encounter the mighty Mekong River for the first time. Luang Prabang, former capital of Laos, a UNESCO world heritage site where we have a rest day. More mountain riding to Oudomxai and further back to Thailand to Chiang Khong where we cross the Mekong river for the last time.
In every region during the tour, during lunches we will feast on the local Thai / Lao cuisine. At dinners there will be western food options available at most locations.
AT A GLANCE
|START / FINISH:||Chiang Mai (Bike Tour Asia Service Center)|
|NEAREST AIRPORT:||Chiang Mai International Airport|
|DURATION:||7 Riding Days|
|ROUTE:||Total distance: approximately 1,700 km’s (1,000 miles)|
|DAILY ROUTE:||Daily distance: 200 to 340 km’s (124 to 211 miles)|
|ACCOMMODATIONS:||Carefully selected quality hotels and resorts with leisure facilities|
|REST DAY:||Luang Prabang|
|HIGHLIGHTS:||Salt mining village of Bo Kluea. Several encounters with the mighty Mekong River, Luang Prabang, former capital of Laos, a UNESCO world heritage. Endless mountain riding,beautiful scenery, diversityandsmiling faces.|
|1 DAY||Arrival Chiang Mai||Km||Miles|
|2 DAY||Chiang Mai - Nan||300||186|
|3 DAY||Nan - Pakbeng||200||124|
|4 DAY||Pakbeng - Luang Prabang||280||174|
|5 DAY||Luang Prabang (Rest Day)||0||0|
|6 DAY||Luang Prabang - Oudom Xai||220||137|
|7 DAY||Oudom Xai - Chiang Khong||320||199|
|8 DAY||Chiang Khong - Chiang Mai||340||211|
|9 DAY||Departure Chiang Mai|
DAY BY DAY
(B/L/D) = (Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner)
1. Day / Arrival in Chiang Mai (-/-/D)
Upon arrival at Chiang Mai airport, transfer to hotel. At 3 PM transfer to Bike Tour Asia for a welcome briefing, answer any questions you might have and motorcycle hand over. Please plan your arrival to Chiang Mai accordingly. Overnight in Chiang Mai.
2. Day / Chiang Mai – Nan (B/L/D)
After breakfast we drive from Chiang Mai in eastern direction. We cruise on hilly roads via Phayao to Nan. In Phayao ride along the lake and enjoy a nice lunch before we continue to Nan. The roads during the rest of this day are small provincial roads passing endless villages and rice paddies. Coffee stop at Chiang Muang, it doesn’t get much more local than this. Last hours riding to Nan is crossing a mountain range, lovely curvy roads leads us to this sleepy provincial capital. Overnight in Nan.
3. Day / Nan – Pakbeng (B/L/D)
The first hours of this day is probable the best riding Thailand has to offer. Scenery is great, roads are curvy, traffic is almost non-existent, a true motorcycle Paradis. The stretch between Santisuk to Bo Kluea you can ride time and again. At Bo Kluea we visit the salt mines where we learn the ancient way of extracting salt.
We cross into Laos at Huai Kon border point. From the Lao border it’s a nice and relaxing ride to Pakbeng were we meet the Mekong River for the first time. Pakbeng is a colorful village situated at the junction of the Mekong River and the smaller Beng River, hence the town’s name ‘Pak’ meaning ‘mouth’ in Lao. The scenery is stunning, the pace is slow and it's the perfect way to relax into the slower pace of Laos. Overnight in Pakbeng.
4. Day / Pakbeng – Luang Prabang (B/L/D)
Another incredible day: Fresh air in the morning, spectacular views over the Mekong river, get used to it, we will follow and cross Mekong during several times the coming days. We ride over the new bridge over Mekong River back to Muang Ngeum and continue paved roads to Hongsa. Shortly after Hongsa we leave the main road and start our real part of the adventure today on new road passing through some villages, negotiation some mountain ranges and rivers. We are riding in a remote area, there are plenty of small forest roads, better to stick to the main road. Well-deserved lunch and break at Ban Samphanxay, take the opportunity to mingle with the locals. Not many tourists come here, enjoy the moment. Continuing further we meet the Mekong River again at Pak Long where we ride the last stretch to the ferry point. Here our eye’s meets Luang Prabang for the first time. Short ferry crossing, and we are at this former capital of Laos. Overnight in Luang Prabang.
5. Day / Luang Prabang (Rest Day) (B/-/-)
As this is a rest day the day is totally at our own disposal. In the morning we will have the option to rise early to view the procession of monks on their daily outing collecting alms, a practice that dates back centuries. It is done early, as the monks cannot eat anything after midday. By giving food to a monk you make merit, which should augur well for your next life.
You may also want to visit the beautiful Kuang Si Waterfalls. It’s possible to swim in the lagoon, so bring your swimming gear. A great way to get there is to take a local “Tuktuk”. Once back in Luang Prabang you can visit the major temples, including the magnificent Wat Xieng Thong, which nestles at the meeting of the Mekong and the Nam Khan Rivers, and Wat Wisunalat, which is the oldest temple in the city. Another great optional activity is to sample a traditional Lao massage and herbal sauna. Enjoy and have fun! We stay another night in Luang Prabang. We stay another night in Luang Prabang.
6. Day / Luang Prabang - Oudom Xai (B/L/D)
After waking up in the cool air to the spectacular views of the Mekong we ride along the river in east direction to Pak Ou Caves. Reaching the villages of Pak Ou we park our motorcycles and take a boat across the Mekong River to the cave complex. Walking through the lower and upper cave filled with thousands of buddha images. Once back on our motorcycles we continue on a narrow road along the river for a while reaching back on the main road. From here we cross over the mountain on the newly build road to Oudom Xai. Those 150 km took the whole day to cover some years ago. Today it’s a pure please to negotiate the curves and enjoying the scenery. There are plenty of great photo opportunities, nature, villages, people, children, animals, rice paddies etc. Overnight at a lovely resort outside Oudom Xai.
7. Day / Oudom Xai – Chiang Khong (B/L/D)
Another good riding day in Laos is in front of us. First part is towards Luang Namtha, a town located close to the Chinese border. This is the main entry point into China from Thailand and Laos. After lunch in Luang Namtha we continue road 3 south towards Houei Xai and the Mekong River, forming the border between Laos and Thailand. The road has normally a bit more traffic, especially trucks. The scenery is good, we are passing through couple of villages, there is time to stop and “mingle” with the locals. At Huay Xai we make the custom and immigration formalities and ride over the bridge to Chiang Khong and we are riding on the left side of the road again. Tonight, we dine again by the Mekong river, this time we have Laos on the other side. Overnight in Chiang Khong.
8. Day / Chiang Khong – Chiang Mai (B/L/D)
Final day of the tour. We leave the Mekong river behind us for the last time. Cruising provincial roads to Chiang Rai where we have a break at the White Temple, one of the new landmarks in north Thailand, opened to visitors since 1997. Continue to Chiang Mai on twisty and open mountain roads. We enter Chiang Mai on back roads, enjoy rice paddies and villages one more time. Tour ends at Bike Tour Asia Service Center followed by transfer to your hotel. We end the day together with our new friends, sharing good riding memories and looking at some of the pictures from our adventures of the last week. We will overnight in Chiang Mai.
9. Day / Departure Chiang Mai (B/-/-)
Transfer to Chiang Mai airport or prolong your stay in north Thailand.
Remark: Itinerary may change due to external factors.
|Vehicle||Single Rider||Pillion||Single Room|
|BMW||(sharing room)||(sharing room)||Suppl.|
(all prices are in USD)
- A deposit of USD 1,000,- per rider and USD 1,500,- per rider and pillion is payable upon booking. Rest payment is due latest 60 days before departure
- The above prices are based for a group of 5 riders. If you come with less than 5 riders please contact us for a price offer
- The price for a single rider in a sharing room requires another single rider booking with the same request. If there is no other request for room sharing we will have to charge you the single room supplement
- Prices include 7% VAT
Due to the lengths of your International flight and the time difference you may have to leave your country a day earlier, subsequently you will arrive one day later back home. Please book your flights accordingly!
Route itinerary and destination may be subject to change in case of force majeure, weather conditions, road conditions and any other significant circumstances.
We are pleased to assist you with the booking of additional nights or any other services in connection with the tour! Please let us know.WHAT IS INCLUDED / NOT INCLUDED
Included in the tour price
- Airport / Hotel / Bike Tour Asia transfers in Chiang Mai on arrival / departure date.
- 8 nights at carefully selected quality hotels and resorts with leisure facilities
- Breakfast every day
- 7 Lunches as stated (excluded during rest day)
- 8 Dinners as stated (excluded during rest day)
- Water, soft drinks and coffee / tea in connection with the meals
- Late model BMW GS Motorcycle rental with unlimited mileage
- Panniers and top box, basic motorcycle crash protection bars etc.
- Tools & tire repair kits & service
- Satellite phone (for emergency only)
- Third Party liability insurance and a motorcycle damage coverage (details see under “Insurance”)
- Experienced tour guide on own motorcycle, including all related costs
- Support vehicle with driver and English-speaking licensed tour guide, including all related costs.
- Transfer of luggage in support truck (max one pce / person)
- Entrance fees as per itinerary
- Lao Permit, all related expenses including tour guide, additional support vehicle, tourist police, third party liability insurance (according to legal requirement) etc.
- Bike Tour Asia Highway map of Thailand & Laos
- Bike Tour Asia T-shirt
- Comprehensive Road book, day by day itinerary, highlights, points of interest, emergency numbers etc.
- Lao visa, 30-40 USD depending on nationality. Please note that Visa on arrival is not possible for Turkish passport holders. Meaning guests will need to obtain Lao visa in Turkey prior to arrival. For more details like visa on arrival etc see; http://www.tourismlaos.org/show.php?Cont_ID=348 (Bring passport photo)
- Personal Items, gifts, snacks, etc.
- Special activities (rafting, fishing, etc.)
- Fully refundable motorcycle security deposit
- Optional motorcycle loss/damage waiver
- All services not mentioned as included and all items of a personal nature
MOTORCYCLE DAMAGE & LOSS COVERAGE / WAIVER / TRAVEL ACCIDENT INSURANCE
A security deposit according to the below list is to be presented through electronic blocking of funds on your credit card (Mastercard/Visa) or in cash upon hand-over of the motorcycle. The full amount will be electronically unblocked on your credit card or cash refunded after the tour (if no damage or loss of the motorcycle occurred). For more details, please see Terms & Conditions.
|All in USD||Security deposit||Daily waiver premium / outside Thailand|
- Included for riding in Thailand is a motorcycle damage & loss coverage with a maximum deductible amount up to the level of the security deposit (according the motorcycle type) and no daily waiver premium applicable.
- For riding outside of Thailand Bike Tour Asia offers an optional daily damage & loss waiver for the motorcycle, based on the above listed daily waiver premiums, which will limit the maximum deductible amount up to the level of the security deposit in case of damage or loss to the motorcycle while riding outside Thailand. Without purchasing the optional waiver, your security deposit amount must be equal to the full value of the motorcycle.
- A Travel Accident Insurance is included for BTA Guided Tours only and as shown below.
Travel Accident Insurance, by AXA Insurance Company, is included in all BTA Guided Tour prices.
Limit of Liability: (All in USD)
|Loss of Life, Sight, Dismemberment, Total Permanent Disability||30,000|
|Accidental Medical Expenses||15,000|
Underlying coverage is in Thai Baht’s and converted into USD using exchange rate 1 USD = 32 Baht
This tour is also open for your own private group. Please choose your desired dates - all year round and come with your friends, club or company (subject to motorcycle availability).